Friday, September 25, 2015

June 2015- The Symptoms Start

June 2015- The Symptoms Start


For a week after my hike, I noticed gradual differences. I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach, but I attributed those feelings to anxiety, which I am prone to. Then, I thought about how I had partaken in moss filtered water from a mountain spring coming out of the hike, and wondered if any of these ailments could be contributed to that. 

I felt increasingly worse as the days went on. My nights were so restless. my body didn't want to fall asleep, and I'd have horrible dreams. When I'd wake, I'd be so tired. I felt like I could sleep for days. 
I started getting motion sickness on the bus, and I also had feelings of vertigo. I would just not want to do anything. I had no motivation to do much of anything. 

One night, about a week after my bite, I noticed my lymph nodes had become sore and slightly swollen, both in my throat and beneath my arm pits. I would wake up feeling so sore and I started having mild fevers. 

I hadn't seen a red rash though, so I figured it wasn't Lyme. I wish I had known then what I know now. 

The sore lymph nodes and body is what really alarmed me, so I started to do some research. 
It was the eighth day after being bit that I realized I had all of the symptoms of Lyme and pieced together that this wasn't some kind of summer flu.
My research led me to places like Lyme Net and Tired of Lyme (both good resources for Lyme everything btw) and all had indicated that a red rash did not need to be present for there to be disease. My anxiety sky rocketed as I read all of the truths. 

I posted on my social media about my symptoms and thinking of going to the ER, but that I wasn't sure if it counted as an emergency. I was so very unaware.
J.'s mom contacted me, and she told me to get to the ER, as soon as I could. Time was of the essence.
Multiple others also communicated to me to go, and one of the others was a woman with Lyme, herself. This all convinced me, and I responded urgently to their advice.

I hopped on a city bus, and the motion sickness made me so sick. 

I started talking to the bus driver. I asked him if he had ever heard of Lyme, or know anyone that had it before. I needed some familiarity. Someone that had possibly been through it all before. My nervousness was exhausting. 

The bus driver turned and said to me, "As a matter of fact, my daughter has it."
Relief washed across my face for a moment. Someone who maybe knew what was to become of me sat in front of me. 
"They treat it with antibiotics, right?"I pried. 
"Yeah they do," he said, looking a little wearily. 
"So is she okay now? How long did it take for it to go away?"
"Well, it never really goes away," he responded. His voice trailed off as he pulled off to the side of the road. It was my stop. 

My heart dropped as I exited the vehicle. 

I'll be sick forever? I'll feel like this always? So many thoughts had crossed my mind. 

I walked the two blocks to the ER, glad to be off the bus and on solid ground. 





No comments:

Post a Comment